PDA

View Full Version : Canada - any tips?

JPenguin
30-12-2007, 03:37 PM
We're planning a trip to Canada this summer, and have a vague notion of another road trip (but less distance than the last) spending two weeksish driving between Calgary, Alberta and Vancouver, BC.

Never been there before - have no idea what to expect - so any tips on what to see / do?

thanks

J

Tam B
30-12-2007, 03:53 PM
So, so so so so so , SSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOO, jealous.

Im of no help, sorry J. Just thought I`d let you know Im knda jealous.

I was there approx 13 years ago, with the Army, at BATUS, Suffield. Had an amazing time, and had R+R at Calgary, which was amazing.

A few years ago we tried to emigrate to Calgary, I had a job to go to and everything. We got a phone call from the company that was dealing with us, and was told " that because of Chris`s ( stepson ) disabilities, the Canadian government wouldnt grant us permanetn residence, so no job. [Pissed]

I`m sure when you go, you`ll have a great time. [Knob] ;)

wodm
30-12-2007, 04:14 PM
My missus has family in Canadia so i will ask her to ask them what to see / do while you're over there J, watch this space.
P.S. some of the photo's the mother in law took whike she was there this summer were just stunning so make sure you stock up on film or memory cards.

LokStok
30-12-2007, 06:40 PM
it's been 14 yrs since my visit .. and it probably goes without saying .. but DO NOT MISS OUT ON NIAGRA FALLS .. awesome sight .. and a ride on The Maid Of The Mist is also a must .. CN Tower and/or Skyline tower are very much worth a visit .. the Skyline is at Niagra so easily kill 2 birds with that visit .. my family live in and around Kitchener .. it isn't too far out from Toronto where you can visit the CN Tower and also visit the Toronto BlueJays' stadium (forgot the name) .. was surprised how big a baseball stadium is but the BlueJays are a successful team so probably why it's such a nice place .. their ice hockey team (The MapleLeafs) are also pretty successful and could be worth a venture down to see a game maybe .. Kitchener itself is a really nice quiet town/city? .. streets are so clean .. there's a great themepark not too far out either .. I think it's called WonderLand (or something similar) .. there's also an very cool glow in the dark mini-golf course for some cheap entertainment ..

this is all in and around the Kitchener/Niagra/Toronto areas .. as these were the only places I visited in my 3 week stay as a young teenager ..

but seriously .. above all else .. VISIT NIAGRA FALLS!!!!

JPenguin
30-12-2007, 06:55 PM
@Tam - that's harsh. You planning on trying again? Did you spend much time in the rockies?

@Mick - cheers, much appreciated.

@Carl - I'm afraid I will be missing out Niagra, going to the West of Canada, Alberta, the Rockies and British Columbia. I would love to see Niagra falls, but it can't be this trip too much of a distance between them, over 2000 miles out of the way.

J

Aidy
30-12-2007, 09:39 PM
If you go hiking in the Rockies, make sure you read up on what type of wildlife you are likely to come across (ie bears). And don't give them beavers a inch either. They will take your arm off at the elbow before you can even blink!

Shame you cannot do Niagra. Aside from the Falls, there are some brilliant little towns. There is one, Upper Niagra I think - cannot remember now it's been years since I went - where it is still how it was in the 1800's. Horse drawn carriages, not electricity, stuff like that. Everyone walks around in period costumes. Really good. There are some decent forts as well, which I am certain will be in BC as well. Well worth a look.

FLASHROB02
01-01-2008, 06:02 PM
J

I travelled from Vancouver to Calgary in July for a few weeks

We love wildlife so spent time on vancouver island and stayed in a place called the Knight Inlet lodge - recommend this to see the grizzly bears - we saw 13 grizzlies and 3 black bears whilst kyaking and on motor boats - you also get a sea plane into the inlet which is an experience.

We took a boat out to see the killer wales in Richmond - and we ook the Rocky mountaineer across the rockies - travel it by car will be just the same just cheaper - but Banff is a cool place to go - especially lake louise, the gaciers and other lakes in the area.

Calgary - not much there but we had mates so it made it cool - but we did go to the stampede wich is in July -really good fun and worth looking into tying this in - if you need anything else let me know - absolutely loved Canada and it is really beautiful - on a par with New Zealand n places.

Welldone on the engagment - Canada was where we spent our honeymoon and would reccomend it.

JPenguin
03-02-2008, 10:00 AM
not going to canada this year. Bloody weddings.

Next year hopefully.

Any recommendations for a cheapish romantic getaway for after weddings?

J

Andrew Usher
03-02-2008, 10:14 AM
How about Prague, i love it there.

Aidy
03-02-2008, 10:30 AM
not going to canada this year. Bloody weddings.

Next year hopefully.

Any recommendations for a cheapish romantic getaway for after weddings?

J

Baghdad?????:p

Tame
03-02-2008, 02:39 PM
log cabin at one of the lochs up this way

JPenguin
03-02-2008, 05:56 PM
was thinking maybe croatia . .

Would love to do a log cabin in the highlands - but it's not especially cheap! Saw a gorgeous looking converted boathouse one near fort william.

and the missus is nesh bless her. She's never been that far north.

J

Andrew Usher
03-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Aviemore, stunning, log cabin for about 350 a week.

wodm
03-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Get married in Barbados, it's what my dad done and loved it. Great resort, lovely people and fantastic weather. Get married at the hotel. jobs a goodun, thank me later.

JPenguin
04-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Canadia is back on - flights are booked for aug 2009.

We have a route mapped out:

Seattle (I know it's the States, but flights were much cheaper to here) for 2 nights
Seaplane to:
Victoria, Vancouver Island for 1 night
Ferry or seaplane to:
Vancouver for 2 nights
Drive to:
Whistler for 1 night
Drive to:
Clearwater for 2 nights
Drive to:
Jesper for 2 nights
Drive to:
Field for 2 nights:
Drive to Calgary then fly to Seattle then fly home.

So those who said they would have more info/suggestions when we knew where we were going - spray your infolove in here please.

thanking you.

J

evilbrown
04-01-2009, 10:17 AM
sorry no info but looks like to be another fantastic trip for you and hannah.

Aidy
04-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Seattle is a great place - a shame you are only there 2 nights. I suppose if you have only one day there, check out the usual touristy stuff like the Space Needle etc. If you had more time it is well worth just walking around the place checking out the old city and stuff.

<edit>

Here is a link to the official Seattle site which has some points of interest should you have time for a wander...

http://www.seattle.gov/html/visitor/points.htm

JPenguin
04-01-2009, 04:58 PM
cheers aidy.

J

NR3RD
04-01-2009, 08:43 PM
dunno if you are staying long in calgary pop to the olympic ski jump(where eddie the eagle jumped/fell) and the bobsleigh track(cool runnings) not to far from the airport if i remember.

wodm
05-01-2009, 05:56 AM
would i be right in thinking that the worlds first starbucks is in Seattle?

JPenguin
05-01-2009, 11:46 AM
It was. It got burnt down I believe. But they have another 'first' starbucks ever.

I'll spit on it for you if you like.

J

Cuppachoc
06-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Just coming back from Montreal after 3 days there with work. Beautiful covered in snow and based on the photos would be beautiful in summer/autumn. I was lucky enough to take in an NHL game (Montreal Canadiens vs Pittsburgh Penguins) on tuesday night and I am now hooked - atmosphere was great and even met a certain Mr Gillette who was talking to the door stewards (owner of Canadiens and if you didn't know also owner of a certain scouse footy team). That was how ice hockey should be played.

Great place and certainly a country I'd like to go back to.

Matt C
06-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Funny, my sister wants to come back after moving there, hols were lovely for her but living there is an absolute bitch!! Rude to her because of her dogs, in fact tried to run her dogs over on more than one occassion. Staffys btw!!
She loves Snowboarding and Skiing but struggles to fit in despite trying hard....

Cuppachoc
06-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Nice to visit, but think the cold in Winter would put me off stopping long. When we came out of the steakhouse on Wednesday night my ears felt like they were bleeding with the cold wind.

Mike S
06-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Only just seen your itinerary J, bit late I know but as Aidy said Seattle is a lovely city. We only had a couple of nights there too but really liked it.

Fremont is probably an interesting place to visit, we only drove through it (in a Duck) but would liked to have spent more time there. Its a bohemian artsy kinda neighbourhood.

We also 'Rode The Ducks' which is not normally my sort of thing, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it gets you out onto the Sound for a little while which is very pleasant and takes in the houseboats from Sleepless in Seattle.

JPenguin
06-02-2009, 03:32 PM
saw the ducks in san francisco - I guess the seattle ducks are much the same thing? Must admit a coach tour wouldn't be my ideal thing to do there! I get travelsick, and claustrophobic.

J

Mike S
06-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Yeah, they're everywhere, think they even have them in Liverpool.

PoacherMan
06-02-2009, 04:14 PM
One of our daughters and her partner live in Pickering near Toronto and she hates the long winters ,but she says she couldnt come home ,to much
homeophobia ect here.
I dont agree ,we realy dont know when were well off here ,after all
why are we being over run by foriegners stealing our jobs ect.
Well i feel a wee bit better now thats off my chest.:confused:

JPenguin
06-02-2009, 04:24 PM
but she says she couldnt come home ,to much
homeophobia ect here.

It's true. Holistic healers cannot walk the streets in this country without facing the mindless masses waving placards stating'down with this sort of thing'.

J